Saturday, September 12, 2009

Karma's a Tough Bitch

Quote of the day: "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
Pasar Malam Tee-shirt

Recently I was called by a friend who told me about a job opening. She went on to ask me if there was anyone I knew who will be interested in in as well, as in any one i know who is also looking for a job. So i gave her the names of couple of friends who came to mind.

Friend: (knowing they are my friends) So you're gonna compete for the same job?
Me: Yea why not? The best person would get it right?
Friend: Yea.


A couple of months ago, my aunt told me to help myself first before helping anyone else. Though she was just looking out for me, the implication of what she said was that " If you know of an opportunity don't tell others until your spot is secured".

I clearly didn't listen to her, I didn't know if I would be secured a job, but I still gave my friends' names in because I know we are all looking for a job and more importantly i know it's the right thing to do. When you think about it, whether I give my friends' names or not, others, strangers i mean would be coming in for interviews too. And there is a chance that they might get the job as well. Now, why would i rather some stranger get the job rather then my own friend? And it seems really sly and cunning to purposely hide something from people whom you care about.

That said I know of friends who have find out of jobs and deliberately kept it from me while they applied or were contemplating to apply for it. Worst is sometimes they are hush-hush about it right in front of you (why whisper in front of people if you don't want them knowing something is up?) Better don't say anything can? :S

When I was in school, stuff like this used to make me really sad cause i felt that things weren't fair. Now, years down, I've learnt that life isn't always fair and you can't always expect people to respond to you in the same way or behave how you want them to. That's the harsh reality of the dog-eat-dog culture industrialization has cultivated. As for me, I've taken my stand in this and what people do or rather don't do doesn't affect me as much anymore. It's sad, but I'll deal with it.
Karma baby, is always fair ;)

No comments: